-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of jekillen
Sent: Thursday, 20 September 2007 12:47 p.m.
Subject: Hard drive RPM

Hello;
I have one that was expressly advertised on the package to be 120 Gb
capacity, and in fact only 111Gb are available for storage.
That is a 9 Gb discrepancy. A Fire wire drive I have is also designated
as 120 Gb and actually only has 117 Gb usable capacity.
Like 9Gb is enough for several operating systems. 3Gb is even enough for
an operating system.

Can anyone shed some light on this? (Storage device labeling, and
specifically, RPM specs)

I would ask the manufacturers but would be suspicious of bias responses.
That is what I got from one of them already.

Thanks in advance for responses.
The hard drives in question are running on FreeBSD systems on homebuilt
hardware. All AMD64 processors, ECS, Gigabyte, and ASUS motherboards,
Hard drives are Western Digital IDE, SATA, and Seagate SCSI drives.

Jeff K