not a case of misrepresentations that I have found on network
attached hard disk storage devices and Firewire drives.
I have one that was expressly advertised on the package to be
120 Gb capacity, and in fact only 111Gb are available for storage.

common marketlie: telling capacity not in gigabytes (2^30) but in billions of bytes. in computers giga always meant 2^30 (like mega 2^20 and kilo 2^10) but they found just another place to lie.

on all (most) drive there are numbers of sectors written on label.
one sector is half a REAL kilobyte, divide it by 2^21 to get gigabyte count.