On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 00:29:23 +0000
Ghirai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm playing with a small nasm executable, is there any way
> i can get gdb to show me the deadlisting, and allow me to
> break at a certain offset, without any debugging symbols?
>
> Since my code is raw assembly, seeing the sourcecode file
> or the deadlisting is the exact same.
>
> Atm i'm doing like this, and it doesn't seem to work:
>
> (gdb) file wp
> Reading symbols from wp...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
> (gdb) break 0x8048099
> No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.
> (gdb) run
> Starting program: wp
> warning: shared library handler failed to enable breakpoint
>
> Program exited with code 0267.
>

> Using gdbtui seems yield the exact same result.
>
> What i really want is to see the deadlisting and be able to step through
> it, seeing what happens with the registers, stack, etc.
>
> Can gdb do that?
>
> And are there any other usermode debuggers i could use?
>
> Thanks for reading.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ghirai.

You can start gdb session like this:
$gdb program
break main
set disassembly-flavor intel
disassemble main

Now you can use "nexti" to run program till break & "next" will step one
instruction (if there were no debugging symbols". That was tested on a program,
compiled with nasm.

--
Dmitry Gorbik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>