Probably because you were forced.

I was never forced to admin sendmail and I have a lot of fun
with it, frankly.  I even ran UUCP with it for a few years.

What I find the most "unfun" part of administering a mailserver,
to be perfectly frank, is the subsidiary programs.  For example,
can anyone explain why clamav has suddenly decided to consume 70% of CPU
at about 15 seconds to scan a simple 4K message on a server I have
with a 3Ghz dual-core CPU?  I find programs like clamav, spamassassin,
dspam, mailscanner, etc. etc. to be big black boxes, with ugly
configuration files and senseless internals, but that are nevertheless
critical to handling mail on a large scale today.  Far more critical,
I might add, than the MTA and local delivery agents.

Ted