On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 08:51 +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>
> > Rakhesh Sasidharan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >> I see that if I want to do disk striping/ concating/ mirroring,
> >> FreeBSD offers the GEOM utilities and the Vinum LVM (which fits into
> >> the GEOM architecture). Why do we have two different ways of doing the

> definitely a difference. Thanks!
>
> Another (related) question: both gvinum and the geom utilities like
> gmirror and gstripe etc provide for RAID0, RAID1, and RAID3. Any
> advantages/ disadvantages of using one instead of the other?

It depends greatly upon your application and needs.  A common practice
in a common 6-disk capable server is to use a RAID1 set of smaller
capacity, faster speed/RPM disks for RAID1 for the "system" file
systems, while using a combination of larger, slower disks in a RAID1
set, then RAID0'd together for both space, performance, and redundancy.
RAID1+0.

~BAS