Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri wrote:
On 9/29/07, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Oliver Herold wrote:
Are there any numbers or technical papers? Just out of curiosity.
I ran a mysql benchmark against Dragonfly-current and FreeBSD 7 on an
8-core machine (one of the workloads that FreeBSD now performs very well
at) and found 0 scaling on dragonfly.  Their developers confirmed that
the kernel is still entirely giant locked (as in FreeBSD 4) so no SMP
performance benefits are possible.

The email thread is here:

   http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/users/2007-05/msg00134.html

although the linked graph is offline.  The FreeBSD curve was essentially
this one (FreeBSD has improved further since then):

   http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/scaling.png

with dragonfly a flat line at ~500 tps independent of load.

Kris

How does NetBSD, and OpenBSD scale when it comes to SMP comparing to
FreeBSD 7.0?

I was unable to boot NetBSD reliably on my hardware (the serial console only worked about 1/8 of the time) and did not even bother with OpenBSD because there is no reason to think they will be a contender for performance.

One of the NetBSD developers recently posted a comparison on old 4*pentium 3 hardware, but their numbers are highly suspicious to me since they are way out of line with what I have measured on similar FreeBSD systems. I am waiting to hear back from him about it.

Kris