O/H Don O'Neil ??????:
I have an array that has a drive that keeps timing out/failing... So I need
to replace it. However, I want to stress test/burn in a replacement disk
first.

What is the best way to do this?

I think that the best way to do this is by using the vendors specific test utility. All known HDD vendors have made utilities to test and find out some basic stats for their products. A very good way to get all the known utilities and much more small usefull programs to test hardware is the Ultimate boot CD. A very nice work has been done and very usefull small programms like memtest, maxtor(sea tools), western digital (dlg diag) etc are included. You can run a surface scan for your disk (that will surely get it to an edge) and find out its temperature, afterwards, and how responds in general. I have been using that for years to find hardware problems.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

--
Thodoris