Rem P Roberti wrote:

Hi Everyone. More newbie stuff. I finally got Mutt and Getmail configured properly and everything is working great. However...this dear woman keeps intruding on my life to announce to me that I have "incoming mail," and I have no idea about how to--- if you will excuse the expression---kill her. A heads up on this would be most appreciated.

Rem

And which "dear woman" is this?  And, if she is really
dear, you wouldn't dare to kill her!!!  :-D

Now, if you're actually talking about the shell, check
your shell resource files for the 'set mail' line.

On mine, it is:

         set mail = (/var/mail/$USER)

Which I believe defaults to checking the mail every 5 minutes.
Change that to:

         set mail = (86400 /var/mail/$USER)

    and the old lady will only nudge you once
each morning ;-)  Probably something a little smaller
would be best.

Kevin Kinsey
--
The liberals can understand everything but people who don't understand them.
                -- Lenny Bruce