Aryeh Friedman wrote:
Open office does not compile on 7-current amd64 what would be a good
replacement(s) for most of it's functionality (word processing and
spreadsheets are what matter to me)
To read MSword I like very light appplication antiword. Just antiword -t filename. You can create documents with many different programs. Abiword is really light.
Gnumeric works wonders with Excell format.

Powerpoint documents are little bit more difficult to read. You can use tonic-point viewer but it requires Java which I do not have on my system. There is also a program called present.

To be frank with you I use for all my needs TeX except for the spreadsheets although even for that you may use TeX.
All of the above combined is 100 times smaller than Open Office.