> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:03:05 +0000
> "Aryeh Friedman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I have more then 4gb and was wondering why it didn't all show up.... is
there anyway to do a in place upgrade (I have a lot of user
>> data)... also someone should think about changing the naming on the
iso/cpu types since 20 years of industry experience (15 with FreeBSD)
and reading hardware.txt did not give a clue on this.

> What's confusing?
>
> i386 is for 386 compatible processors - a 32-bit OS for 32-bit
> processors, which is therefore limited to 2^32 bytes (4GiB) without the
PAE workaround.

> amd64 is for AMD 64 compatible processors operated in 64-bit mode.

> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

A while back, when a bought my current machine (an Pentium(R) D CPU
3.20GHz Dual core) and was wondering which FreeBSD to install (i386 or
amd64), someone advised me that amd64 was better for servers. On a desktop
machine, i386 would be a better. As far as ports are concerned, this makes
sence since some (or a lot, I don't know) ports (nvidia driver is a
classic) do not compile on, or don't have versions for amd64.

So, I did an SMP/i386 install. I cannot say I regret it since everything
runs absolutely smooth and fast here.

On the tecnical side (not practical) was it correct to give up 64 bit
processing?

   //| //|         Mario Lobo
  // |// |         http://www.ipad.com.br
 //  //  |||||||  FreeBSD since 2.2.8 - 100% Rwindows-free