On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 07:27:21AM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Grant Peel wrote:

        [[ ... ]]

> Gary,
>
>    Depending on the webpages, amount of memory in use, and other
> things, firefox did have a tendency to crash from time to time when I
> used it. Most of the time it was an indication of bugs created by
> over-optimized binaries or rogue plugins / add-ons / extensions.
>
>    conftest is run by autoconf, and a signal should only be 'thrown'

        Same here.  No clue on the aborts or the SIGSYS.  That's because
        I don't watch my portupgrades.  It looks like it's time to run
        ``script'' and capture stuff.

> (IIRC) if a test fails.
>
>    Not sure about the signal 6 (SIGABRT) and other segfault stuff though..
>
>    About the X11 comment.. actually a system that's heavier loaded than
> a lighter loaded system will exhibit more issues if any exist. So the
> more you run (at one time), the more problems you will see (possibly...).

        I'm pretty sure that firefo and most everything build without
        -O3.  I'll double-ck.  Anyway, if binaries crash, it should't
        cause the server to power-cycle.  If it *is* heat, maybe we can
        use a fan from one of my junk Kayaks... .

> Grant,
>
>    I'd check your thermal stuff then (both on your drives and your
> case). What might be happening is that the machine is heating up after
> extended periods of intense computation or disk use, then it reaches the
> threshold operating temperature, and reboots.

        Garrett,

        I'm thinking same thing with my Dell.  It's crammed in there
        and may need more space to draw in fresh air.   ...Live 'n'
        learn, hopefully!

        gary