> In my case, william is better than root. I can never login to my GNOME
> desktop through GDM by root. A root account is absolutely useless to me.

I use gnome and there is not a single thing I can not do with a root
account that I can't with one.

If you mean opening GUI apps try adding the following (I am assuming
your using tcsh... if your using something else look up how to do
this):

in ~/.cshrc add:

xhost +

in /root/.cshr add:

setenv DISPLAY :0

When you su *ALWAYS* use the following syntax:

su -

*DO NOT* include any cmd arguement.  Once your root you should be able
to start any GUI based app from the command line... if you don't know
what the command line is left click on the menu/icon and go to
properties... if it requires arguements look it up in the man page or
the GNOME help for it.