((A parenthetical note):
        In prep for this posting I finished (or expanded) my
        mail-strip program that eliminates most of the cruft and
        leaves the body. )

        So I'll look at bigsister, conky, nagios, monit, and Ksysguard.
        (Mel, if you have a cheatsheet  for Ksysguard, that would be a
        big win.)  The more I can automate, the better.

        thanks to everybody who emailed me, onlist and off; if I can turn
        this into a how-to article, i'll publish it on my bsd pages.

        gary