On Oct 12, 2007, at 12:54 AM, CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:
Is there any way, by poking through dmesg or sysctls, to determine if a
machine has, or is capable of using, ECC RAM?

Well, the sysutils/dmidecode port can be used to answer that question:

pi# dmidecode -t memory
# dmidecode 2.8
SMBIOS 2.3 present.

Handle 0x1000, DMI type 16, 15 bytes
Physical Memory Array
        Location: System Board Or Motherboard
        Use: System Memory
        Error Correction Type: Single-bit ECC
        Maximum Capacity: 4 GB
        Error Information Handle: No Error
        Number Of Devices: 4

Handle 0x1100, DMI type 17, 23 bytes
Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x1000
        Error Information Handle: No Error
        Total Width: 72 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 128 MB
        Form Factor: DIMM
        Set: 1
        Locator: DIMM_A
        Bank Locator: BANK_1
        Type: SDRAM
        Type Detail: Synchronous
        Speed: 133 MHz (7.5 ns)
[ ... ]

Also, is there an easy way to silence the following warnings in dmesg?
They all appear to be about the serial and parallel ports, which, as far
as I know, the machine does have. They may not be enabled in the BIOS,
however.

I think those messages only appear if you do a verbose boot...?

--
-Chuck