On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 02:27:25PM -0400, Randy Pratt wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:04:02 -0700
> Gary Kline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 10:37:10PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > >   Guys,
> > >
> > >   Has anybody with any Dell run into this before?  I just got a new
> > >   Matrox with 32M of video ram.  Run with the "mga" driver, X comes
> > >   up extremely dark.  If I change the driver to the "vesa" X comes
> > >   up with normal brightness but the resolution is terrible.  At
> > >   most 640x480.  tHis could be a hardware bug;I'm hoping it is
> > >   just not having selected the right driver.
> > >
> > >   Anybody know what to try next?
> > >

> >     Update, and no-joy: i've added Modes lines, tried different flags.
> >     Still, using the "mga" drivr gives a dark screen; only the "vesa" works.
> >     none of the xorg config toools work.  The Matroc Millennium G450
> >     is brand new, so doubt it's the card.  The previous card had the
> >     same problem--way to dark--soI got this new card.
>
> I ran into a resolution problem with the xf86-video-mga-1.9.100 driver
> (http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20071014075931.3c5ec756.rpratt1950)
> and reverted back to xf86-video-mga-1.4.7 which was working okay.
>
> My card was a Matrox G400.  I've also done some searching but have not
> turned up anything helpful so far.  Maybe give the older driver a
> try and see if that works for you.

        Hmm, and Hmmmmm. It just occured to me that I have no video mga
        in mykernel GENERIC.  I can't find mga.ko (or any other kernel
        object file *anywhere*.

        Rebuilding my kernel is not a big deal.. Can you or anybody else
        clue me in on this?  How do I revert back to the earlier mga
        driver?  In other words: where is the  1.4.7 src.

        A last tidbit is that while things DO load, the screen is almost
        dark.  --My  CRT is in great shape.

        thanks muchly,

        gary