On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 08:18:53PM +0200, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 11:46:27PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > > You could try playing with the gamma value of the monitor. When X is
> > > running you can use xgamma to adjust the gamma setting. You can also set
> > > this with the Gamma entry in the Monitor section of xorg.conf.
> >

> >     Or should I ask somebbody to put back in the Radeon  card?  (i
> >     think that was the card i thought was "going bad"... ) Otherwise,
> >     I'll try the "Gamma"  entry in my Monitor section with my G450.
> >     What value should I use?  Or if it is boolen, do I try settting
> >     it to "on"??
>
> The default setting for gamma is 1. Try e.g. 2. See also xorg.conf(5).

        I'll try your xgamma -gamma 2 suggestion, below.  Thanks for the
        data-point.  I read [[ skimmed-thru ]] xorg.conf.  This is another
        man page that you've got to prrint out, go into a corner, and read
        ... very slowly  :-|

> Alternatively you can try to change it while X is running by typing
> 'xgamma -gamma 2' in a terminal. This does require that the
> VidModeExtension is active, i.e. the ServerFlags option
> DisableVidModeExtension should _not_ be set.

        Good to know. So far, none of the flags are set.

> >     PS: to you, or to any other driver wizards::: is this mga driver
> >         still being hacked-on?  The screen is only "dingy grey" not
> >         black.  (*mumble*)
>
> It looks like it is still in development;
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-mga/
>
> BTW, I was assuming you have tried adjusting the brightness and contrast
> settings of the monitor?

        Ja.  In fact, only when everything is maxed out (brightness &&
        contrast) does the screen approach "dingy grey". Otherwise, it's
        something like "light mud" ... and I'm not trying to be funny.
        At least the hackers are still developing this driver.  I booted
        my DOS partition and it recognized problems  and finally
        displayed a 1024x768 display.

        have a good one,

        gary