Hi Gordon,

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 06:16:26PM -0500, aSe typed:
> Recently, one of the machines I help to admin ran into problems and had to be
>rebooted.
> The machine uptime was about 40days and one of the techs told me it became
>unresponsive and any command he typed into term it responded "Too many files open".
>Checking the logs now i see the below at the very same time. It is 4.7-Release, I
>will be more then happy to post more information if requested. Right now I'm just
>trying to figure out what happen and how to fix. I know for a fact the 13gb drive had
>over 7gb free, so is there a setting where I can adjust the number of open files?

This is not a matter of diskspace. The kernel holds a fixed length table
in memory with all open files. If this table gets full it usually means
one of two things:

1) You have a runaway application, opening way too many files. Identify
the application and fix or disable it.

2) You're running a kernel with a too low value for maxusers (which,
among other things, determines the maximum amount of open files). The
default in 4.7-RELEASE is 0, which means: optimize according to amount
of memory installed. The default is usually O.K. If not, one option is
to simply install more memory.

cheers,
Ruben