At 02:52 PM 2.3.2003 +0100, Ruben de Groot wrote:

>Hi Gordon,
>
>On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 06:16:26PM -0500, aSe typed:
>> Recently, one of the machines I help to admin ran into problems and had
to be rebooted.
>> The machine uptime was about 40days and one of the techs told me it
became unresponsive and any command he typed into term it responded "Too
many files open". Checking the logs now i see the below at the very same
time. It is 4.7-Release, I will be more then happy to post more information
if requested. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what happen and how
to fix. I know for a fact the 13gb drive had over 7gb free, so is there a
setting where I can adjust the number of open files?

>This is not a matter of diskspace. The kernel holds a fixed length table
>in memory with all open files. If this table gets full it usually means
>one of two things:
>
>1) You have a runaway application, opening way too many files. Identify
>the application and fix or disable it.
>
>2) You're running a kernel with a too low value for maxusers (which,
>among other things, determines the maximum amount of open files). The
>default in 4.7-RELEASE is 0, which means: optimize according to amount
>of memory installed. The default is usually O.K. If not, one option is
>to simply install more memory.
>
>cheers,
>Ruben

In the meantime, you can check your settings on the maxfiles by this command:
# sysctl kern.maxfiles

...then, you can change it with this:
#sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=4160 (...or whatever works best)

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net