On Thursday 18 October 2007 18:39:56 Michael K. Smith - Adhost wrote:
> Thank you for the clue!  We are using log in vain as part of our
> security logging for this particular box, but this is the only message
> I've ever seen so I'm not sure it's really needed.

It must be a local program trying to connect to ident.
Probably nothing to worry about. I would check which is
this program though. If that's the only message you get
you must be protected, at least packet_filtering-wise.

I think log_in_vain can be used when configuring a firewall.
Just to see quickly if your firewall works as expected and
then turn it off. Otherwise it is just going to create tons
of irrelevant log messages.

Nikos