Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> I recently noticed that Apple's new OS, Leopard, is Unix certified.

"UNIX Certified" what the [EMAIL PROTECTED]@ does that mean as far I know no
one is
in a position to make such a statement except maybe the current owner of
the Unix trademark (sco if I am not mistaken)

> I'd imagine that the big reason that FreeBSD hasn't done this yet is:
> It costs a lot of money.

And give SCO a reason to actually consolidate it's illegitimate claim to
be the steward of Unix when there is no such thing beyond the holder of
the trademark.

> That said, if in theory one were to try to get the operating system
> certified (say, to increase awareness and market share versus the
> penguinistas)...
>
> a) approximately how much money is "a lot"?
>
> and
>
> b) How far short, technically, does FreeBSD fall from the standard
> (we'll ignore operational semantics for the time being)

 MacOS-X is FreeBSD at it's core thus we are ready now (actually all
that is required is POSIX complience)