Please try to wrap your lines at around 72 - 78 characters.  Many of us on
the list use text based mail clients that don't "auto-wrap" for us ;-)

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 09:59:34AM -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello,
>
>       I've got a 4.4-RC server that I'm attempting to upgrade all the source on. I'm
>following the directions found at:
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html  to the
>letter to do this. My make buildworld went just fine, although I can't seem to get
>past this make buildkernel compile problem. I CVSup'd on February 1st 2003 at around
>6:00pm. It keeps failing on umass.c, the below is the offending output of the build:

[---snip---]

Hmm, I have a good build from source obtained on the same day.  At about the
same time, too, I believe.  Try repeating the CVSup, and see what happens.

> I don't need this, as to my knowledge it's only a USB Mass Storage driver and it
>isn't a dependency of anything else (I'm assuming). I've commented out all the USB
>drivers in both my custom and GENERIC kernel config files, and tried building with
>both but it fails with exactly the same message (why is it even trying to make it?).
>I'm using no special switches to make, simply make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC with
>the possible exception of make.conf (see below). Some system information follows.

Correct, it is the USB mass storage driver.  If it were required as a depend-
ency, I think you would get a very different error message (still with the
fatal results, mind you ;-)

It is building it as a kernel module.  AFAIK, all modules are built, unless
you specify a list of modules you want to build, in which case ONLY those
defined are built.  The option in /etc/make.conf to control this behaviour
is MODULES_OVERRIDE.  This is convenient if you know what modules you want.
I have never yet tried this feature, so see man make.conf for more info.

Your config seems fine from a cursory glance.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3D73 AF47 D448 C5CA 88B4 0DCF 849C 1C33 3C48 2CDC
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \