If I recall correctly, only the i386 version of Leopard is Unix certified, so if you're still using a PowerPC, you're out of luck for upgrading to a Unix certified operating system. But I believe a previous version was if you'd like to downgrade.

As far as I know, Unix certification is more about interoperability than anything else, but there's still the public perception about security and stability. For Apple, it's probably more about bragging rights and propaganda than anything else.

Before saying I'm anti-Apple, I'm writing this email using Mail.app.