On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 04:14:12PM +0000, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
Is there any way to set the default value of a enviromental variable
globally.   Specifically I want JAVA_VERSION to default to "1.6" unless
the user sets it other wise.   By global I mean no matter how something
is invoked (command line, script, GUI, IPC trigger, etc.) if it checks
the value of the var it gets the same value (and I want to do this
system wide)

For userland stuff that is invoked after a login (i.e. In some user's
login context), I have a master profile I keep in /usr/local/etc/.myprofile.
I then source this from the .profile or .bashrc  in a given user's account.

If you need this for cron jobs, there is a way to set environment variables
in the crontab entry IIRC...

HTH,