On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 16:47 +0200, Frank Staals wrote:

> What is the status of that project if I may ask ? I did some research on
> it some time ago but the best I could find was that there was someone
> porting vmware-workstation 4.5.X to FreeBSD allthough there were quite a
> lot problems so there wasn't much progress it seemed.

The same fellow is doing the port.  I haven't corresponded with him for
a while, so I can't really say what the current status is.  Quite some
time ago the issue was getting VMware to discuss what goes on in their
kernel module (IIRC).

> It would be great if FreeBSD could be a VM-host.

Agreed.  For me it is the biggest problem with using a FreeBSD desktop.
One other sign of hope: there has been intermittent work on a port of
VirtualBox.  When I checked last, the GUI environment would build.
That's certainly not a complete VM yet, but it is one necessary piece.