Doug Poland wrote:
Hello,

I've just updated my system to 7.0-PRERELEASE from 6.2-STABLE on i386 and I was wondering what the recommendation is for ports. Specifically, is it necessary to rebuild all ports?

So far, I haven't rebuilt any ports and haven't had any problems...

Yes, it is always necessary when you update to a new major branch (such as 6.x -> 7.x).

The old applications will continue to run immediately after the upgrade and as long as you do not make further changes, but once you start doing new port upgrades and installs you will easily create ports that are linked to two versions of FreeBSD system libraries, e.g. libc.so.6 and libc.so.7. This doesn't work very well ;-)

Kris