On October 24, 2007 at 09:50PM jekillen wrote:

> The following was a response to a query I posted regarding how to
> switch over to Postfix from SendMail:
>
> Also, there are some periodic things that are ran which are SendMail
> specific that need to be disabled. That is done within /etc/periodic.conf as
> such:
>
> daily_clean_hoststat_enable="NO"
> daily_status_mail_rejects_enable="NO"
> daily_status_include_submit_mailq="NO"
> daily_submit_queuerun="NO"
>
> However, there is no periodic.conf on my system:
> v6.2. There is a periodic directory with specific
> subdirectories. One is 'daily' but I do not know
> which one would have the above entries.

Create the /etc/periodic.conf file and populate it with the correct
information.

> When I installed the OS, I had it include the
> Postfix package when sysinstall queried for
> package choices.
> I want to set this machine up as a hub mail server
> for four web sites on four separate machines that
> are connected via inside network. I have not dealt
> with e-mail related software in general and Postfix
> or Sendmail specifically. Since I brought in Postfix
> as a package, I am afraid of trying to install it from
> Ports for complications, unless ports will account
> for that.

You could delete the package and then install it from ports.

> There were also advices to place several entries
> in rc.conf to disable SendMail. There are no entries
> either for SendMail, not Postfix there to begin with
> in rc.conf.

You have to add them. Please read /usr/ports/mail/postfix/pkg-message  for
further details. That is the last stable version of Postfix, by the way. The
beta version is under 'postix-current'. You should also check out:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail-changingmta.html

for further details.

> In mailer.conf I was told it should look like this:
> sendmail        /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
> send-mail       /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
> mailq           /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
> newaliases      /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
>
> There were two other entries, hoststat and
> purgstat. Should these be kept, modified
> or eliminated?

If you install Postfix from the ports system, it will offer to make these
modifications for you. See my above comment.

--
Gerard