On Oct 25, 2007, at 2:46 AM, Gerard wrote:

On October 24, 2007 at 09:50PM jekillen wrote:

The following was a response to a query I posted regarding how to
switch over to Postfix from SendMail:

Also, there are some periodic things that are ran which are SendMail
specific that need to be disabled. That is done within /etc/periodic.conf as
such:

daily_clean_hoststat_enable="NO"
daily_status_mail_rejects_enable="NO"
daily_status_include_submit_mailq="NO"
daily_submit_queuerun="NO"

However, there is no periodic.conf on my system:
v6.2. There is a periodic directory with specific
subdirectories. One is 'daily' but I do not know
which one would have the above entries.

Create the /etc/periodic.conf file and populate it with the correct
information.

When I installed the OS, I had it include the
Postfix package when sysinstall queried for
package choices.
I want to set this machine up as a hub mail server
for four web sites on four separate machines that
are connected via inside network. I have not dealt
with e-mail related software in general and Postfix
or Sendmail specifically. Since I brought in Postfix
as a package, I am afraid of trying to install it from
Ports for complications, unless ports will account
for that.

You could delete the package and then install it from ports.

There were also advices to place several entries
in rc.conf to disable SendMail. There are no entries
either for SendMail, not Postfix there to begin with
in rc.conf.

You have to add them. Please read /usr/ports/mail/postfix/pkg-message for further details. That is the last stable version of Postfix, by the way. The
beta version is under 'postix-current'. You should also check out:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail- changingmta.html

for further details.

In mailer.conf I was told it should look like this:
sendmail        /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
send-mail       /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
mailq           /usr/local/sbin/sendmail
newaliases      /usr/local/sbin/sendmail

There were two other entries, hoststat and
purgstat. Should these be kept, modified
or eliminated?

If you install Postfix from the ports system, it will offer to make these
modifications for you. See my above comment.

Thank you for the data; Much appreciated
Jeff k