I have this pet project, playing with the Lustre Cluster FS. Is there anything
similar to this that would run with FreeBSD as the host? ( Clients supported
would HAVE to be linux,freebsd, Win32, OSX, ideally over standard protocols
with no need for special driver).

I seem to remember that ggate,  in the GEOM stack, allows for storage over
different nodes, but reading about ggate i am not sure it provides what I'm
after :

- storage over a number of nodes (few or large number).

ggate provides remote volume. simply.

- abstract view of the storage from the client's point of view ( 1 TB storage,
doesnt matter how this is setup).
yes

- dynamic sizing : add servers, storage grows.

no. you may have more remote/virtual volumes,

- resilience to node loss.

no.

as every good unix tool, doesn't do everything, it does one thing just right, remote volumes for ggate.

use ggate with gmirror and gconcat :)