On Thursday 25 October 2007 8:38 am, William Bulley wrote:
> I have two IDE drives (ad0 and ad1) on a Dell system
> that is running Windows XP on ad0 and FreeBSD 6.2 on
> ad1.  Drive ad0 is 80 GB.  Drive ad1 is 250 GB.  When I
> installed FreeBSD onto ad1, I installed the FreeBSD boot
> manager onto both ad0 and ad1 disk drives.
>
> When the machine powers up from a cold start, I don't
> see the ad0 boot manager at all.  I see the ad1 boot
> manager.  It looks like this.
>
>    F1  FreeBSD
>
>    F5  Drive 0
>
> and FreeBSD boots just fine if I select F1.  I don't
> see the ad0 boot manager until I reboot FreeBSD and
> select F5 from the above "menu".  Then I get this:
>
>    F1  ???
>    F2  DOS
>
>    F5  Drive 1
>
> Hitting F5 gives me the expected:
>
>    F1  FreeBSD
>
>    F5  Drive 0
>
> But, if I want to boot up Windows, I hit F2, and then
> Windows starts up.  If I shut down Windows (restart),
> then I again see this:
>
>    F1  ???
>    F2  DOS
>
>    F5  Drive 1
>
> But this time, when I hit F5 nothing happens!?!?!?!
>
> Here is the output of two boot0cfg(8) commands:
>
> freebsd% boot0cfg -v ad0
> #   flag     start chs   type       end chs       offset         size
> 1   0x00      0:  1: 1   0xde      4:254:63           63        80262
> 2   0x00      5:  0: 1   0x07   1023:254:63        80325    156151800
>
> version=1.0  drive=0x80  mask=0xf  ticks=182
> options=nopacket,update,nosetdrv
> default_selection=F5 (Drive 1)
>
> freebsd% boot0cfg -v ad1
> #   flag     start chs   type       end chs       offset         size
> 1   0x80      0:  1: 1   0xa5   1023:254:63           63    524281212
>
> version=1.0  drive=0x81  mask=0xf  ticks=182
> options=nopacket,update,nosetdrv
> default_selection=F1 (Slice 1)
>
> What I want to know is am I doing something wrong, or, am I not
> doing enough to configure (using the boot0cfg(8) command) the
> two boot managers (one on each drive)?
>
> BTW, the "???" slice above is the Windows recovery (or diagnostic?)
> slice, I believe.
>
> I have looked in the Handbook to no avail.  Any ideas?  Help!
>
> Regards,
>
> web...
>
> --
> William Bulley                     Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

It is my experience that you don't want two boot managers.  Have just one,
usually on drive 0, select the OS to bott and leave it at that.  I recently
lost a FreBSD boot record that way.

look in the handbook on restoring boot0 on your freebsd drive.  If you replace
it with mbr, you will be left with just the boot manager on ad0 and save
yourself a headache.   (The command is fdisk -B -b ad2 but you have to tell
it to write a new partition table or you won't be able to boot into freebsd
at all)

As an aside, I have a similar setup, except it is Win2k & Freebsd 6.2  I
recently had similar issues and wound up having to replace the boot record on
my FreeBsd disk.

Mark Moellering