> > On FreeBSD before 6.2 ports system unfortunately can not set default
> > X11BASE by itself so please help it a bit by setting
> > X11BASE=${LOCALBASE} in make.conf.
> > On the other hand, if you do wish to use non-default X11BASE, please
> > set variable USE_NONDEFAULT_X11BASE.
> >
> > However, even if I edit /etc/make.conf and add either
> > X11BASE=${LOCALBASE} or X11BASE=/usr/X11R6, I still get this
> > error.
> >
> > Any suggestions or recommendations on how to get ruby installed? I
> > think once I have that installed, I should be able to get port-upgrade
> > fixed and then maybe be able to get some patches downloaded... I would
> > really appreciate any tips or suggestions.
> >
> > output of uname -a:
> > FreeBSD computer.weif.net 6.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE #0: Thu Nov
> > 3 09:36:13 UTC 2005
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> There was major change about Xorg; For more details, plase see here:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-announce/2007-May/001131.html
>
> I think the upgrade was/is mandatory, not optional ;;

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it isn't really very helpful. I
guess I didn't clarify the catch-22 in my previous post.

In order to get X upgraded, I need to get portupgrade working. This
requires that X already be upgraded. This, in return requires
portupgrade...

I was starting with trying to get Ruby because that addressed the
vulnerabilities I was trying it initially address. However, that's
pretty irrelevant at the moment.

Where I'm stuck is getting either portupgrade working or getting X
upgraded, both of which seem to be dependent on the other having
already happened...

Thanks,
Keith