Andrew Wasilczuk wrote:

I haven't dealt with HP yet, but I'm starting to seriously consider them.
How is good is their support when things go wrong?

I was not impressed with how difficult it was to actually get them
working with me; but, I was a 3rd party, or maybe even 4th party,
in the dealings I had with them in the most comparable case to what you are asking about, when a motherboard failed to run on a Proliant after a disastrous incident involving a facilities manager and a large UPS circuit.

The box was in Missouri at one of my clients, the company that
purchased and installed it was in California, and I could have
sworn I heard a Brahman herd braying in the background when I
called HP. They were not particularly responsive to the "ticketing" page opened for me on their website, either.

5-6 hours later, after a series of misadventures and mis-
communications caused by an cautious manager in California,
spotty cellphone coverage while underground and receptionists
who don't know HP from anyone else that calls, they allowed
me to open the case with an engineer on the phone.
Five minutes later, they were ready to overnight a new
motherboard to a town 50 miles away.  From there on out,
smooth sailing.  The rep who came to do the install was
knowledgeable, friendly, very competent and quick, and
had started with DEC and was still with the company.  So,
mixed reviews.  It's hard to wake the giant, but it's
pretty powerful when awakened.

My $.02,

KDK
--
Like so many Americans, she was trying to construct
a life that made sense from things she found in gift shops.