On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 09:24  AM, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 03:16, Mark Edwards wrote:
Well, the directions claim its simple, but try as I might, I can't get
font anti-aliasing to save my life!  I've tried following the gdkxft
README, but I still can't make gdkxft do anything useful.

Is there some trick to getting it working with gdm?  Should I have an
Xsession.d or an xinitrc.d directory somewhere (creating them in
/etc/X11 doesn't do squat).
You will need to move the gdm startup out of /etc/ttys, and create a
/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d script for it.  In that script, set the LD_PRELOAD
(I think that's what gdkxft requires) variable, and you should be good
to go.

Joe
Can you point me to a description of how to do this? All the documentation I've found describes starting gdm from /etc/ttys, and I'm not exactly sure how to translate that over to an rc.d script.

Also, will setting LD_PRELOAD this way affect gnome after login, or will it just affect gdm?

I tried setting LD_PRELOAD by hand in a term window after logging in, and then launching a gnome app like mozilla, and I still didn't see anti-aliased text. Does this indicate further problems?

Thanks for you help!

--
Mark Edwards
San Francisco, CA