Those cards and the xl driver are crap, hae been ever since the driver
first appeared in FreeBSD.  Occasionally someone diddles
with the driver trying to make it work better without any real success.
3com appears completely uninterested in helping.

I can buy Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 cards out of the junk bin from
the local computer recycler for $3 a card.  I'm sure if you look you
can find a similar thing, and that's what you need to do rather than
put time and effort into a card/driver combo that has never worked
very well under FreeBSD.

Ted