Hi,
  I have been using FreeBSD 6.2 for a couple of months now with no major
  snags.  Until now.  I did a portupgrade this morning and afterwards,
  when I logged in as a user into Gnome, my desktop was missing most of
  the programs (Accessories, System Tools, etc.).
  I rebooted the machine and "that other" terminal screen came up
  (Single User?) and I was prompted to "run fsck manually" so I did so.
  Well, fsck gave up on me.  I have no idea what happened or why.  Can
  anyone help me understand what is going on with my machine and any
  possible actions I can take to resolve this?

  Script started on Fri Nov  2 17:13:22 2007
  You have mail.
  root# fscd[Kk
  ** /dev/ad1s1a (NO WRITE)
  ** Last Mounted on /
  ** Root file system
  ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
  CANNOT READ BLK: 524544
  CONTINUE? [yn] y
  THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 524544,
  ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
  ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
  ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
  ** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
  CANNOT READ BLK: 524544
  CONTINUE? [yn] y
  THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 524544,
  CG 2: BAD MAGIC NUMBER
  FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK
  SALVAGE? no
  SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD
  SALVAGE? no
  fsck: /dev/ad1s1a: Segmentation fault: 11
  kirkwood# exit
  exit
  Script done on Fri Nov  2 17:14:23 2007

  Thank you in advance,