On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

 I have been using FreeBSD 6.2 for a couple of months now with no major
 snags.  Until now.  I did a portupgrade this morning and afterwards,
 when I logged in as a user into Gnome, my desktop was missing most of
 the programs (Accessories, System Tools, etc.).
 I rebooted the machine and "that other" terminal screen came up
 (Single User?) and I was prompted to "run fsck manually" so I did so.
 Well, fsck gave up on me.  I have no idea what happened or why.  Can
 anyone help me understand what is going on with my machine and any
 possible actions I can take to resolve this?

 Script started on Fri Nov  2 17:13:22 2007
 You have mail.
 root# fscd[Kk
 ** /dev/ad1s1a (NO WRITE)
 ** Last Mounted on /
 ** Root file system
 ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
 CANNOT READ BLK: 524544
 CONTINUE? [yn] y
 THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 524544,

That looks like a hard drive going bad.