A couple weeks ago I skimmed thru the postings on editing PDF
        files.  Wasn't entirely clear what the answer it because I never
        thought I would need to edit a GUI file.  I just found a book
        from 1883 in pdf format.  I would like a text/ASCII/ISO_8859-1
        version.  Tried pfdtotext, but it doesn't work.   Nutshell: is
        there something I can use  to edit/look-at this book and get rid
        of whateveriit is that's causing pdftotext to fail.  (sorry for
        the grammar.... )

        gary