On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 22:14:18 -0800
Gary Kline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       Where do I set up the screen to never go blan? both in console
>       (white on black) mode and in X?  Every so often my video card
>       driver (mga) remains blank after 10 to 15 minutes.  And gets
>       stuck in this mode.  --FWIW, this did not happen in xorg-6.9--
>       only in  the 7.x versions.  My hunch is to never let the screen
>       blank.  The screensaver does seem to work, tho.

Blanking in console mode is controlled by /etc/defaults/rc.conf:

  blanktime="300"    # blank time (in seconds) or "NO" to turn it off.

Put your override in /etc/rc.conf .

Xorg blanking can be set via "xset".  To see your settings run
"xset q".  If you run "xset" without arguments, you can get hints
on settings:

    For screen-saver control:
         s [timeout [cycle]]  s default    s on
         s blank              s noblank    s off
         s expose             s noexpose
         s activate           s reset

For more detail, see "man xset".

You may also have some window manager screensaver mode to contend
with.

Also as a side, since you're using the xf86-video-mga driver, see

HTH,

Randy