On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 12:16:23AM -0500, aSe typed:
> >This is not a matter of diskspace. The kernel holds a fixed length table
> >in memory with all open files. If this table gets full it usually means
> >one of two things:
> >
> >1) You have a runaway application, opening way too many files. Identify
> >the application and fix or disable it.
> >
> >2) You're running a kernel with a too low value for maxusers (which,
> >among other things, determines the maximum amount of open files). The
> >default in 4.7-RELEASE is 0, which means: optimize according to amount
> >of memory installed. The default is usually O.K. If not, one option is
> >to simply install more memory.
>
> The machine itself runs several logging applications and things of that
> nature. I didn't think It was an issue with HD. Nor do I believe its ram,
> It has 512mb installed, and 256mb of swap. As it stands right now it has
> 270mb free and hasn't touched the swap. Right now maxusers is set to 6,
> I didn't realize it would play a role in this instance.

You should set maxusers to 0. That way, it will be sized at boot time
according to the amount of memory you installed.

> Jack Stone suggested looking up the number of max open files by doing
> "sysctl kern.maxfiles" It returns only "232" which to me seems like a
> very small number. He also suggested to change it using
> "sysctl -w kern.maxfiles=4160."
>
> My question to you is, does maxusers play more of a role then just
> the max number of open files. In the long run would it be better to
> just set maxusers to 0 or just change the kern.maxfiles?

It does. According to tuning(7):

     kern.maxusers controls the scaling of a number of static system tables,
     including defaults for the maximum number of open files, sizing of net-
     work memory resources, etc.

You can set maxusers to 0 by either recompiling your kernel or by setting
the value in loader.conf(5)

Ruben