On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 13:16 -0600, Eric Crist wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2007, at 11:15 AM, Marc Fromm wrote:
>
> > I am new to the linux-type OS environment. For about a week now I have
> > tried to do a task which I first thought would be simple-install a
> > program like firefox.
> >

> > I did "sudo pkg_add -r firefox" as explained in chapter 4 of the
> > handbook and received the message:
> >
> > pkg_add: package 'firefox-1.5.0.8,1' or its older version already
> > installed
> >

> > I then tried to uninstall firefox like this:
> >
> > sudo pkg_delete -d -f firefox-1.5.0.8,1
> >
> > It appeard to uninstall.
> >

> > I next did "sudo pkg_add -r firefox" again and it did this:
> >  [snip]
> >
> > Firefox now does not work at all and if I rerun the pkg_add command it
> > states firefox-1.5.0.8 is still installed.
> >
> > Isn't the latest 2.0.0.9?
> >

> > I tried to instructions at firefox and they did not work:
> >
> > http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Installing+Firefox+on+Linux
> >

> Marc,
>
> There are a couple of things you can try.  First thing to note,
> however, is that Linux instructions for software installation will
> not, typically, work on FreeBSD systems.
>
> You should verify that the package is actually uninstalled.
> # ls /var/db/pkg | grep firefox
>
> You should get nothing back.  If you do get something, remove each
> item with the following command
> # pkg_delete <name>
>
> <name> should be each item in the list from the previous command.
>
> Once you've verified it's uninstalled, try the pkg_add command again:
> # pkg_add -r firefox
>
> Now, if this doesn't work, try installing from your ports tree.  Do
> this with the following command:
> # cd /usr/ports/www/firefox && make install clean
>
> If you're using csh/tcsh as your shell, make sure you type rehash so
> that your PATH gets re-read for new binaries/etc.
>
> Let me know how this goes!
>
> -----
> Eric F Crist
> Secure Computing Networks

Just a quick note -- instead of ls /var/db/pkg, you can use pkg_info -Ix

I'm betting it's a rehash issue, or if you're using a bourne type shell,
just reload the shell.

You're right that 2.0.0.9 is the latest version of firefox; I'm using
2.0.0.7 right now. My advice is that if you want newer packages, learn
how to use ports. It's generally newer than the packages built remotely.

If you're using FreeBSD -release branch, I think ports is the only way
to get new new software. -release has a snapshot of packages for pkg_add
and they're known to be stable and not updated much at all, if ever.

-stable has newer packages for pkg_add, and -current breaks sometimes.

James