Chris Whitehouse wrote:
Hi,

Installing ports or upgrading the base system only uses around 50% cpu
utilization (measured with the top utility) on my dual core machine. Is
there some way I can get higher cpu usage?

/usr/src/UPDATING says don't use make -j. I tried installing
openoffice.org-2 with make -j 2 but it failed at some stage saying it
couldn't find a directory. It works not using -j.
This was just added to the ports tree as port of Google Summer of Code 2007. I don't recall if its was complete.

Lots of people compile the base system with -jX
The sweet spot is typically number of cores + 1

so on a dual dual core computer use -j5

If your disks are slow, they will hold your cpu back.

Philip M. Gollucci ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
c:323.219.4708 o:703.749.9295x206
Senior System Admin - Riderway, Inc.
http://riderway.com / http://ridecharge.com
1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.