On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 07:27:58PM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> >  a.  Make backups
> >  b.  Read /usr/src/UPDATING
> >  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
> >  2.  `make buildworld'
> >  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
> >  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
> >       [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
> >  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
> >  6.  `mergemaster -p'
> >  7.  `make installworld'
> >  8.  `make delete-old'
> >  9.  `mergemaster'
> > 10.  `reboot'
> >  c. `pkg_delete -a' (delete all your ports)
> > 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymore)
> >  d.  Reinstall all root and leaf ports. Dependencies will then be
> >      installed automatically.
>
> I went through this process myself in pretty much the order you
> describe.  Due to bitter experience, I'd say that reinstalling
> all ports should be done before 'make delete-old-libs' -- by
> killing all the old 6.x shlibs you make it hard to run most
> software previously installed under 6.x including such things as
> 'portupgrade'...
>
> You don't need to delete all the ports in one go and then reinstall
> them in another: running 'portupgrade -fa' will do the job.

Port upgrade tools are not guaranteed to work perfectly in this
situation. I tried doing an update with portmanager and ended up with
some binaries linked against both libc.so.6 and libc.so.7! Some ports
didn't even compile.

That's why I would recommend doing a clean sweep when updating to
another major version.

> That can take several days to complete if you've got a machine with
> OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Java, KDE, Gnome, X Windows
> etc. installed.  If you're careful you can still keep various services
> running during that time, restarting them one by one as the various
> applications get upgraded.

It took me about a day and a night to reinstall everything (415 ports),
mostly un-attended. But then I don't use OpenOffice nor java and fvwm2
instead of Gnome/KDE.

Roland