James A. Harrison wrote:
On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 23:06 +0900, Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 12:30 +0200, Ananias Uushona wrote:
I was installing gnome2 through x interface but I realize that its
very hard
especially to beginners but I got it right is that I did n't have the
hardware names and specifications right now I want to do it
automatically so
it can detect the automatically so where do I begin to install it
through
console should I remove xorg packages or what first
Please use pkg_add/pkg_delete instead of ports. It's very easy. That's
all the way I install/remove gnome2. Of course it works through console.
Ananias,

For install, at the command prompt type this command as root:

pkg_add -v -r gnome2-lite

However! There is a caveat here.

I'd say, sure, use pkg_add at first, because it's simple. However, bear in
mind that ports exist. And also bear in mind that you cannot mix packages
and ports, unless you want an inconsistent system.

Ports are well worth learning. I remember when I started using them, they
were confusing. But after I got used to them, I never, ever used/use
anything other than ports. They start making sense after a while ;)

I agree with James. I use portinstall which makes compiling everything a snap. Other people prefer different methods though. Compiling something large like Gnome takes a while, though. If you don't have the time go with packages.

One thing that does bug me about the compiling process is that just occasionally distcc will throw a wobbler about something and I have no clue how to fix it. :^) I think perhaps distcc is just a little buggy. But that's a thread for another mailing list.

Ananias [hi, by the way!], just to answer your question, do not remove Xorg as you will need it to support Gnome.

Regards,
Adam J Richardson