On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 10:20 AM, Daniel Bye wrote:
You shouldn't need to - the version form the ports gets installed in
/usr/local/. All you need to do is define named_program in /etc/rc.conf,
and the system will do the right thing. The amount of disk space you
would save by removing named and all associated libs and docs is minimal.
Disk space isn't really an issue. The problem is that those old BIND 8 commands are still in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, and since those two directories come before their /usr/local counterparts, when you type "nslookup" (or whatever), you'll get the BIND 8 version instead of the BIND 9 version. Sure I could go rename all of those BIND 8 versions and do something like put ".8" at the end of them or something. But I'd rather just get rid of BIND 8.

Thanks
--Dan