On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 06:38:08PM -0500, Josh Carroll wrote:
> > is there a way to get the serial number from a drive from within the OS?  im
> > trying to audit the drives in my file server, but without pulling the thing
> > from the rack and cracking it open.  they are just standard sata drives, not
> > on any sort of raid controller (ie, i know 3ware cards are capable of
> > pulling
> > the drive info).
>
> Check dmesg (or /var/run/dmesg.boot). The serial number should show, e.g.:
>
> ad8: 381553MB <Seagate ST3400633AS 3.AAH> at ata4-master SATA150

That is not the serial number, that is just the disk model and the firmware
revision.

The serial number can (for ATA/SATA) disks be shown with atacontrol(8)
(e.g. "atacontrol cap ad4") or with smartctl(8) from the
sysutils/smartmontools port (supports both ATA/SATA and SCSI disks)
(e.g. smartctl -a /dev/ad4)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson