On Monday 12 November 2007 03:37:46 Gary Kline wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 12:58:13AM +0100, Michael Rudolph wrote:
> > On Sunday 11 November 2007 23:55:50 Gary Kline wrote:
> > >   After many tries , my secoond burner finally opopened a CD full
> > >   of hundreds of TTF fonts.  I don't know how to use the graphics
> > >   widget to move the contents of /media/cdrom/1 to <<whereever>>
> > >   so that all these fonts are usable by both  AbiWord and OOo-2.3.
> > >   (On my Ubuntu platform I used the command line to  copy from
> > >   /cdrom/*.ttf to /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/.  )
> > >
> > >   I am using the OOo font wizard to install the few M$ free fonts,
> > >   but sem to be missing BASIC.  [[???]].  At any rate, any tips or
> > >   insights would be very much appreciated here.
> > >
> > >   tia,
> > >
> > >   gary
> >
> > Hi Gary,
> >
> > as far as I know, you are using KDE, which makes things pretty
> > easy. You can just use Konqueror to browse to your fonts and use
> > the appropriate option in the context menu to install the selected
> > fonts.
> >
> > If you want to do the font installation by hand, as you described,
> > you have to make sure that X is aware of the directory where your
> > font files reside and that the directory is properly prepared. This
> > is best described in the handbook:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-fonts.h
> >tml
> >
> > I hope that helps.
> >
> > michael
>
>       Well, your handbook URL helped, :-) ... I have in bookmarked in
>       konq.  I pointed the browser at the CDROM but there were too many
>       files--hundred--and the browser choked.   I'm not sure if I can
>       do a CLI cp -rp from the disk, so I'm **trying** to figure out
>       how to use these GUI tools. If you , or anyone else, would be so
>       kind as too explain how to copy one file or multiple files or a
>       directory and its subdirectories from (say) /media/cdrom/1 to
>       /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType, I would be much obliged.
>
>       Typing a single string in an xterm seems lots easier than
>       doing it by file-manager.  ...
>
>       thanks,
>
>       gary

Hi Gary,

I assume konqueror is chocking because you have font previews enabled.
If you deselect "Font Files" in konquerors View > Preview submenu,
prior to entering your font directory, you should be able to use
konqueror. As I said before, it's a piece of cake to do it this way.

If you want to do it as per the handbook, you'd have to copy your font
files to an appropriate directory, which could look something like
this:

# cp /media/cdrom/1/*.ttf /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType

I'm not sure if I understood you question correctly, but either the man
page for cp(1) might help or you ask again here.

Have a nice time.

michael