On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 16:00:55 -0500
Chuck Robey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've already deleted the message that kicked me off, but it looked to
> me that you were talking about the 10,000 ports I was talking about,
> and that meant you were referring to new installs, not upgrades.

Why would anyone want to configure ports they don't want to install?

> BUT if you were talking only about upgrades, then I kinda think,
> personally, that you probably should instantiated a new thread, not
> used this one.  Hmm?

Is that supposed to irony, because before you hijacked this thread it
was about preventing options screens being brought up at build-time,
and pausing the build.

Your ideas do absolutely nothing to address this issue because, they
would only reduce the number of options, not eliminate them - unless
you are intending to radically dumb-down the system. As a case in point
take a look at the options for www/squid, I don't believe for a moment
that your scheme could handle more than a small fraction of them.

If people want an easier desktop system, they already have the pc-bsd
and DesktopBSD versions of FreeBSD.