Jonathan Horne wrote:
On Wednesday 14 November 2007 03:45:07 pm Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
Impressive ;-) My main machine (with an Athlon XP @ 2GHz) takes ~2
hours to build kernel and world (I use a script to do that). My
other box is running -CURRENT and takes ~11 hours to build kernel
and world (Celeron 500...).

Just to supply some numbers that "go the other direction" :-)
With no -j and running gnome and doing other things in the foreground
(watching a avi) 1 hr 3 mins on a e6850 w/ 4 gig (amd64)

p4 540 3.2GHz, 1GB ram:

World build completed on Thu Nov 15 19:15:05 CST 2007

real    63m8.635s
user    102m44.096s
sys     10m44.889s
[EMAIL PROTECTED] /usr/src]#

I have a quad core machine, and I found that (after a bit of checking) that about 95% of my improvements could be cotten with a -j4 setting. It did keep on improving, but only very little, up to -j8.

AT -j8 it was about 18 minutes. I do have more accurate numbers, if folks are curious. I did buildworlds, so no kernel built, and the environment was with all the files from a previous build in place.

heh, i have appropriately renamed the thread.  :)  with -j 8

cheers,