Frank Shute wrote:
On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 09:27:53PM +0000, Desmond Chapman wrote:
I've done a minimal install of FreeBSD and followed a suggestion of
enabling cvsup/csup from the command line.  Xorg-7.3 was installed.
However, the command of xorgcfg and xorgxonfig was not.

I'm not too sure what you mean by that but I take it to mean that
you've installed X but havent configured it yet. The handbook explains
what to do:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

How do I enable the Xdisplay?

Just follow what they do in the handbook in the link above.

Is xorgcfg a package to be installed?

No. xorg.conf is a file which lives in /etc/X11/xorg.conf but you have
to put it there once you've created it with:

# Xorg -configure

and tested it with:

# Xorg -config xorg.conf.new

It might need some tweaking (editing) e.g French keyboard instead of
English. Then do:

# cp ./xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and try starting X:

$ startx

If those commands aren't found, then you either need to rehash your
shell:

# rehash

or you haven't installed X properly. How did you install X?

Are the others the same way?

Sorry. I don't know what you mean.

Is xorg-7.3 manually configured only?

As above.
I am asking for help to a problem that I am unable to solve.  Anyone
that has any knowledge of how I can solve this problem please let me
know.

Thank you.

HTH but let us know if anything is not clear or you have further
problems.

If you are used to command xorgcfg which is really XF86cfg (XF86free is still used by NetBSD for instance)
I noticed myself that is not the part of XOrg 7.3.
I love the command but when I tried to use it on my installations in couple last months (since XOrg 7.3 I also get
that command is not found)
Besides suggested Xorg -configure you could use xorgconfig (there is no x) which is purely text based and more or less does what xorgcfg used to do but in the interactive text mode.

Xorg -configure is smart but I also noticed that is leaving out on regular basis DefaultDepth line and more over assumes something like 32 which is impossible for my old computers. Refreshing Rates lines were present on some installations but often missing.

Best,
Predrag