Steve Franks wrote:
On Nov 20, 2007 4:16 PM, Roland Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 03:34:29PM -0700, Steve Franks wrote:
I'm trying to compile a non-port application for the first time ever.
The associated library built and installed just fine - I can see them
right in /usr/local/lib and usr/local/include/libnamefoo.h  However,
when I run ./configure for the application, it clearly can't find the
libs.  So my question is, should I be changing my path, is there a
standard variable I need to export, or what?  Obviously for ports this
just works, so I've never had to do it.  I'm sure there's a standard
way, so I thought I'd get in the habit of doing that right from the
start...

The best way would be to write a port makefile and submit it. That way
you only have to figure it out once. Especially if the app needs patches
to work correctly on FreeBSD. And in case of a free software app, others
can use it as well, _and_ help you with bugfixing. :-) For closed source
stuff submitting a port would probably be useless.

I'd love to (submit a port), but how do I make a port if I can't even
get it to work the first time myself?
    configure --includedir=/usr/local/include doesn't work;
    export CPATH =/usr/local/include doesn't work;
    export CPPFLAGS -l/usr/local/include doesn't work;
    I've checked the permissions,
    and I can see the file right there, but configure/gcc can't.  The
developer swears something must be 'different' about freebsd because
his gcc finds the same file in /usr/local/include.  Appears his system
is gentoo...

Steve

# setenv CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include" # setenv LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"
# configure

Kevin Kinsey
--
Finster's Law: