On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 06:23:29PM +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 12:12:50AM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >     guys, one last thing before i call it a days; i just tried
> >     kmidi and tried to configure the audio.
> >     got the sound of a breaking glass and the warning that something
> >     was already using "dev/sequencer". i tried a
> >     ps -alx, but couldn't tell very much..  can anybody shed a light?
>
> Does /dev/sequencer actually exist?
>
> I think it's looking for a deprecated device. On my 7.0-BETA2 machine,
> the sound(4) manpage only lists /dev/audio*, /dev/dsp* and /dev/sndstat.
>
> Looking at the manual pages on the FreeBSD site, there was a
> /dev/sequencer in 4.x, but not in 5.x and later.
>
> BTW, 'cat /dev/sndstat' shows you the installed sound devices.

        Right; I tried catting /dev/sndstat awhile ago. Didn't see much
        beyong my cound card type.  Also, there is no /dev/sequencer.
        So why Kmid would  be hunting for it is one I'll have to look
        thru the code to learn about.  It's probably trying to open the
        sequencer as a last resort.

        This is also why lsof fails.

        Hm, no src. Kmid is build from the kde3 source.

        Well, I'm building kplayer which seems to be a frontt end for
        mplayer.  Maybe give me some clues why things-KDE keep breaking.

        thanks!

        gary